Newton County Sheriff's Office logo      
Connect with us on:
Facebook logo
Youtube logo
  Committed to Excellence...

Q: When and where can I pick up a copy of my incident/accident report?
You may pick up a copy of your incident report after 3-5 business days (excluding holidays and weekends) after the initial report was filed with a deputy. All reports may be obtained at the Newton County Law Enforcement Center located at 15151 Alcovy Road, Covington, Georgia.

Q: How can I request extra patrol for my home while out of town?
You can make a request by phone or in person at the Sheriff's Office, and fill out an "Extra Patrol Request Form" which will be submitted to the patrol division.

Q: How can I check the weekly crime rate in the area around my home?
Right here on this website. Go to the tab on the left side of the screen marked as "crimereports" and view the areas with crime on a weekly basis.

Q: How can I find out what my fine is for a traffic ticket?
You may call the Newton County Probate court at (770)784-2045. You may pay your ticket online at or in person at the Probate Court.

Q: How can I check for registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?
Click on the "Sex Offender Registry" tab on the home page and enter in your address, and it will tell you if there are any offenders in your area. You may also sign up for e-mail updates where the system will notify you of any sex offenders moving within 1 mile of your home.

Q: How can I obtain my own criminal history?
You may obtain an personal criminal history at the Newton County Sheriff's Office Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm in the Administration Lobby. You must bring $20.00 cash for this service and it needs to be exact change. (We cannot make change)

Q: When can I visit an inmate in the detention center?
Inmate Visitation- Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday between 9:00am and 7:00pm. Each inmate has a prearranged time. Children can visit on Saturday only. No more than two children. Each inmate is allowed 30 minutes for visitation. Please arrive 20 minutes before the scheduled visitation time.

Medical Visitation - Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Anytime between 9:00am and 6:00pm. Be here on the hour to get signed in. Visitation starts 15 minutes after the hour. No children allowed. Inmates are allowed 30 minutes for

Inmate Worker Visitation - Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Anytime between 9:00am and 7:00pm. Be here on the hour to get signed in visitation starts fifteen minutes after the hour. Children can visit on Sunday only. Inmate workers are allowed 45 minutes for

Q: What are the rules of visitation?
All visitors are required to present a valid state issued photo ID. All personal items must be left in a locker or locked in your vehicle. No items can go into the visitation area. Appropriate attire is required. No halter tops, tank tops, shirts showing cleavage or back, skirts higher than four inches above the knee, shorts higher than four inches
above the knee, and no holes in jeans/pants. Please arrive twenty (20) minutes before the scheduled visitation time. No hats are allowed.

Q: How can I receive calls from an inmate?
You must set up a prepaid phone account with Paytel. You may contact Paytel at

Q: What can I bring to an inmate?
6 white T-shirts, 6 white pair of socks, 6 white pair of underwear/boxers/briefs, 3 white thermal top, and 3 white thermal bottom. All clothing items have to be brand new and in the package. Whites must be brought into the jail within the first 72 hours after arrest.

  • Eyeglasses- Must be plastic frames.
  • Contact Lenses
  • Contact Solution (Must be brand new in the package)

Q: What is first appearance?
Eligible inmates shall be entitled to his/her first appearance hearing within the first 72 hours of arrest. First appearance is a closed court hearing at the Detention Center. If the inmate is going to receive a bond, the Judge will set it at this time.This hearing is not open to the public. First appearance is currently held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Q: How can I send an inmate mail?
The address is 15151 Alcovy Road Covington, GA 30014. When writing an inmate please make sure to provide the inmates name, id number, and cell location. Only one picture is allowed per envelope (No Polaroid pictures and/or pictures of an inappropriate nature will be accepted). Any books or magazines must be sent directly from the publisher (No hard back books).

No blank paper, stamps or stamped envelopes will be accepted these items can be purchased through Commissary.

Q: How can I post bond on an inmate?
Newton County provides all eligible inmates an opportunity to post bond. Before an inmate can be released from custody on a bond, he/she must have a bond set for each charge. Inmates under sentence or with charges that have no bond set are not eligible f or bond. We are available to complete bonds 24/7.

Inmates may enter into a contractual agreement with a professional bondsman to serve as surety on their bond; or Inmate's family members may post a property bond provided the property is located in Newton County. An inmate cannot use his/her own property as surety on a bond.

The person posting bond must present a current year real estate tax receipt, a current mortgage statement (current within 60 days), a copy of the warranty deed, and a certified state issued identification card. If the property is free and clear, a copy of the cancelled security deed must be present. All parties listed as owner must be present to sign the bond. You must have enough equity in the home to cover the bond amount.

A $20.00 fee shall be charged for each property bond performed by Newton County. This fee is to be collected in cash only and must be exact change (We cannot make change).

Q: How can I find out Court Dates?
The Superior Court calendar is set by the District Attorney's Office 770-784-2070. Probate Court dates are printed on the ticket, or you may contact Probate Court at 770-784-2045. For Municipal Court dates contact City of Covington at 770-786-7605 or City of Porterdale at 770-786-2226. For Recorders Court dates contact City of Oxford at 770-788-1390.

Q: How can I obtain a Firearm License?
Firearm Licenses are issued by the Probate Court. For more information, please call 770-784-2045.

+ Click here   + Click here   + Click here
Teacher arrested for choking student

+ Read More
Man tells deputies his car was taken at gunpoint

+ Read More
Accused baby-killer has first appearance

+ Read More
+ Inmate Information
+ Sex Offender Registry
+ Crime Reports
+ Anonymous Tip Line
+ Gang Information
HomeCommand StaffDivisionsOutreachJoin NCSOFAQContact Us
Copyright © Newton County Sheriff's Office 2018 ▪ Privacy Policy